Red Light Therapy?
Red Light therapy is the application of specific wavelengths of light energy to tissue to obtain therapeutic benefits. The energy delivered is then used to improve cellular performance. Light therapy can be delivered through light emitting diode (LEDs) devices or cold lasers, and has a variety of applications across many medical fields.
How does red light therapy work?
In the same way that plants use chlorophyll to convert sunlight into energy, high intensity light emitting diodes (LEDs) utilizing specific, proven wavelengths of light can trigger a natural biostimulatory effect in human tissue. Research has shown that LED light therapy can increase circulation, accelerate tissue repair, kill acne bacteria, decrease inflammation, improve skin tone, texture and clarity, decrease under eye wrinkles as well as ease muscle and joint pain, stiffness, spasm, and pain associated with arthritis.
Research indicates that cells absorb particles of light (photons) and transform their energy into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the form of energy that cells utilize. The resulting elevation of ATP is then used to power metabolic processes; synthesize DNA, RNA, proteins, enzymes, and other products needed to repair or regenerate cell components; foster mitosis or cell proliferation; and restore homeostasis. Simply put, the LED light source provides compromised cells with added energy so the cells performance is enhanced. For example, fibroblast cells will increase collagen and elastin production in connective tissue to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and increase the rate of wound healing.
1.British Journal of Dermatology 2000; 142: 973±978.
Phototherapy with blue (415 nm) and red (660 nm) light in the treatment of acne vulgaris
P.PAPAGEORGIOU, A.KATSAMBAS* AND A.CHU
Unit of Dermatology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, DuCane Road, London W12 0NN, U.K. Adreas Sygros Hospital, Athens, Greece
- Phototherapy has been shown to accelerate tissue repair, decrease wound size, accelerate the resolution of erythema, accelerate wound closure and prevent dehiscence¹.
- Phototherapy prior to surgery may reduce the incidence of hypertrophic scars and keloids ².
- Ongoing post-surgery photo-rejunvenation² (activation of fibroblasts to produce collagen and elastin, stimulation of keratinocytes which produce keratin to provide structural strength to the skin).
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation prevention².
- Activation of mast, macrophage and neutrophil cells can decrease inflammation and protect against infection.
- Phototherapy is anti-bacterial. The presence of P-acne bacteria can lead to post-operative infections, particularly in shoulder surgery. Using the professional grade LED light therapy prior to surgery can decrease the presence of this bacteria.
1. The effects of LED emissions on sternotomy incision repair after myocardial revascularization: a randomized double-blind study with follow-up Rauirys Alencar de Oliveira & Gilderlene Alves Fernandes & Andréa Conceição Gomes Lima & Antônio Dib Tajra Filho & Raimundo de Barros Araújo Jr. & Renata Amadei Nicolau Received: 2 August 2013 /Accepted: 25 November 2013 Springer-Verlag London 2013
2. Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs) in Dermatology. D. Barolet, M.D. 2008.
3. Mosca RC, Ong AA, Albasha O, Bass K, Arany P. Photobiomodulation Therapy for Wound Care: A Potent, Noninvasive, Photoceutical Approach. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2019;32(4):157‐167. doi:10.1097/01.ASW.0000553600.97572.d2
4. Ryan Spitler a,* and Michael W. Berns a,b Comparison of laser and diode sources for acceleration of in vitro wound healing by low-level light therapy aUniversity of California Irvine, Beckman Laser Institute, Department of Developmental & Cell Biology, 1002 Health Sciences Road, Irvine, California 92612 bUniversity of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093. Journal of Biomedical Optics 19(3), 038001 (March 2014)
Red light therapy helps with
- wound healing and tissue repair
- short-term treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome
- healing of slow-healing wounds
- psoriasis lesions
- short-term relief of pain and morning stiffness in people with rheumatoid arthritis
- improves skin complexion and builds collagen to diminish wrinkles
- prevents recurring cold sores from herpes simplex virus infections
- improves the health of joints in people with degenerative osteoarthritis of the knee
- helps diminish scars
- relieves pain and inflammation for people with pain in the Achilles tendons
2151 S Alternate A1A
Jupiter, FL 33477
“Health is a complete state of harmony of the body, mind, and spirit. When one is free of physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.”
— B.K.S IYENGAR
Sign up for our newsletter
red light therapy
atp bioresonance therapy™